EAAAirVenture OshkoshShopJoin
1  2  Next Page >

"Aviation's Sayings...."

Posted By:
Deborah Wilson
41
Posts
19
#1 Posted: 6/3/2011 12:59:07

 Hello aviation fans!!! :D I know a topic like this has been started before, but it's always so fun to do it again!

I know there are many wonderful and also funny aviation sayings out there.....so, I'd like to read some from you all because I'm sure you have some great ones!!! So please type in your favorites, or all the ones you know below!! :\) 

From one aviation lover to the next! ~Deborah  >:\)



"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer." ~Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle, April 18, 1942
Ron Wanttaja
246
Posts
98
#2 Posted: 6/3/2011 18:26:51

I'm sure you'll get a ton 'o replies, but mine comes with a story.

I gave a talk on homebuilts as part of an aviation day activity at a local high school a couple of years back.  As part of it, I used the old saw, "A midair collision can ruin your whole day."

One kid spoke up, a bit frustrated:  "You're the third guy who's told that that today..."

Didn't even dare to say, "You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi...."

 



Ron Wanttaja
Dick Anderson
Homebuilder or Craftsman
74
Posts
14
#3 Posted: 6/3/2011 19:38:08

Hi, Deborah.

      I just got my Sport Pilot Gyroplane endorsement where I learned that, "Rotorcraft don't fly, they beat the air into submission."



Dick Anderson
Mike Edwards
Vintage Aircraft Association MemberYoung Eagles Pilot or Volunteer
130
Posts
30
#4 Posted: 6/3/2011 19:55:37

One of my flight instructors told me a saying from his flight instructor, Mr. Bob Crawford (for whom our airport is named), many years ago.

When a student was about to venture out on a day when maybe he shouldn't really do that, he'd tell him, "Well, if you don't have any experience, you're fixin' to get some!"



Steve DiLullo
Young Eagles Pilot or Volunteer
92
Posts
34
#5 Posted: 6/3/2011 23:22:02 Modified: 6/3/2011 23:22:28

This has always been my favorite:

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

I even named my blog after it!
biggrin

 



My flying/training adventures: amileofrunway.blogspot.com
Deborah Wilson
41
Posts
19
#6 Posted: 6/4/2011 12:51:20

 Those are GrEaT ones!!!   Here is one that I read:

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home." -Anonymous



"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer." ~Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle, April 18, 1942
Joe LaMantia
Young Eagles Pilot or Volunteer
175
Posts
69
#7 Posted: 6/5/2011 09:05:55

Here's a few everyone has heard or will hear during flight instruction.  " The 3 most useless things in aviation are; altitude above, runway behind, and air in the tanks".

Another is, "you can't have too much fuel onboard, unless it's on fire"!

And finally, after you pass your check ride, "you now have a license to learn" and "your first 100 hours are the most dangerous".  


Fly Safe,

Joe

>:\)



Andy Gamache
Homebuilder or Craftsman
122
Posts
28
#8 Posted: 6/5/2011 16:41:36
Dick Anderson wrote:

 

Hi, Deborah.

      I just got my Sport Pilot Gyroplane endorsement where I learned that, "Rotorcraft don't fly, they beat the air into submission."

 

Runway - A handicap zone for the vertically challenged.



Timothy O'Connor
Homebuilder or Craftsman
82
Posts
28
#9 Posted: 6/7/2011 14:51:24
Dick Anderson wrote:

 

Hi, Deborah.

      I just got my Sport Pilot Gyroplane endorsement where I learned that, "Rotorcraft don't fly, they beat the air into submission."

 

Congrats!!!


Why would you want to fly something that you had to "fix the wings"?


.



"Rotors, the only way to FLY" Commercial Rotorcraft Pilot, CFI, AGI, SP-FW
Dick Anderson
Homebuilder or Craftsman
74
Posts
14
#10 Posted: 6/7/2011 21:14:56

Thanks, Tim.

    It's something I've always wanted to do. What a blast! Took 3 days with Greg Gremminger in his Magni.



Dick Anderson
William Campbell
68
Posts
26
#11 Posted: 6/9/2011 20:43:11

Helicopters 14000 parts flying in close formation.

Helicopters when psychosis and aviation come together

Helicopters don't really fly they're so ugly the ground repels them.

Helicopters Cuisinarts on steroids

Helicopters the only thing known to fly where one wing is always trying to beat the other.

I love rotorhead jokes
biggrin

 



Dick Anderson
Homebuilder or Craftsman
74
Posts
14
#12 Posted: 6/13/2011 23:21:19

Way back before Sport Pilot, our Heart of Illinois Ultralight Club produced T-shirts that said, "You're just one medical away from being an ultralight pilot."



Dick Anderson
Charlie Gibbs
Young Eagles Pilot or Volunteer
3
Posts
1
#13 Posted: 6/16/2011 18:56:21
Mike Edwards wrote:

 

One of my flight instructors told me a saying from his flight instructor, Mr. Bob Crawford (for whom our airport is named), many years ago.

When a student was about to venture out on a day when maybe he shouldn't really do that, he'd tell him, "Well, if you don't have any experience, you're fixin' to get some!"

 

"It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here."



Michael Glasgow
Homebuilder or Craftsman
32
Posts
2
#14 Posted: 6/16/2011 19:26:52

Never fly close to the edges of the air. The edges of the air can be recognized by the close proximity of buildings, trees, rocks, and water.



Long flights, smooth air, and soft landings,
Shannon Coleman
Homebuilder or Craftsman
69
Posts
27
#15 Posted: 6/16/2011 21:05:05

Takeoffs are optional.  Landings are mandatory.



Jim Reader
3
Posts
1
#16 Posted: 6/17/2011 08:02:27
Deborah Wilson wrote:

 

 Hello aviation fans!!!  I know a topic like this has been started before, but it's always so fun to do it again!

I know there are many wonderful and also funny aviation sayings out there.....so, I'd like to read some from you all because I'm sure you have some great ones!!! So please type in your favorites, or all the ones you know below!!  

From one aviation lover to the next! ~Deborah 

 

If God had meant for man to fly, he would have given him more money.



Earl Downs
Young Eagles Pilot or VolunteerHomebuilder or CraftsmanAirVenture Volunteer
6
Posts
2
#17 Posted: 6/18/2011 08:37:04

 Deborah

There is a fantastic book of aviation sayings and quotes titled, Slipping the Surly Bonds; it is written by Dave English. I am an aviation writer,and must admit, I refer to it often. Check it out.



Jason Alexander
AirVenture Volunteer
42
Posts
17
#18 Posted: 6/23/2011 11:20:04
William Campbell wrote:

 

Helicopters 14000 parts flying in close formation.

Helicopters when psychosis and aviation come together

Helicopters don't really fly they're so ugly the ground repels them.

Helicopters Cuisinarts on steroids

Helicopters the only thing known to fly where one wing is always trying to beat the other.

I love rotorhead jokes
biggrin

 

 

This had coworkers staring at me I was guffawing so hard (I needed that after this morning). Thank you!

I also like, "When the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's an Unsafe Condition."



Donald Berlin
Homebuilder or Craftsman
11
Posts
11
#19 Posted: 6/25/2011 10:45:36

I run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas all at the same time!



Ryan Hornback
12
Posts
3
#20 Posted: 6/26/2011 13:21:47


I am a current student pilot entering my Junior Year in high school. This is one of my favorite quotes that I haven't seen posted on here yet.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci  

This is so true for me
happy







1  2  Next Page >