EAAAirVenture OshkoshShopJoin

Pitts S-1C

Posted By:
Bill Evans
#1 Posted: 6/5/2010 18:25:32

I've taken over a Pitts S-1C which had been an incomplete project for 40 years. This week I found that (4) 4130 longerons have been segmented rather than bent from 137" tubes. Is there acceptable anyway to salvage the fuselage short of cutting out the longerons which would scrap the fuselage and possibly the project? For example is there an approved procedure to install finger doublers over the butt welded tubes?

Bill Evans


Joanne Palmer
Young Eagles Pilot or VolunteerHomebuilder or Craftsman
#2 Posted: 6/6/2010 23:36:29

Can you send us pics.  It is hard to visualize from your description.  I THINK I know what you mean, but I'd like to make sure.

Bob Gish
Homebuilder or Craftsman
#3 Posted: 6/7/2010 21:20:37

Hey Bill,

Before you take the hack saw to it make sure the tubes aren't spliced with an internal splice tube and roset welds. This used to be a common practice. I know you said butt welds but I find it hard to comprehend that anyone would butt weld a longeron without a splice tube.

Also check out AC 43-13, there are acceptable methods of repairing / splicing tubes with outside splices made from larger tubes that have been slit.