EAAAirVenture OshkoshShopJoin

Military Medical for FAA

Posted By:
Ed Hadaway
#1 Posted: 11/11/2010 18:06:46

Recently, the FAA began allowing the use of military aviation medicals (FDME's, up-slips, etc.) in lieu of FAA third-class medical certificates:


        (9) When a military pilot of the U.S. Armed Forces can show evidence of an up-to-date medical examination authorizing pilot flight status issued by the U.S. Armed Forces and—

              (i) The flight does not require higher than a third-class medical certificate; and

             (ii) The flight conducted is a domestic flight operation within U.S. airspace.


I retired from the Guard as a military pilot last April and am now a Department of the Army civilian pilot. I fly the same aircraft, have the same military flight physical, and meet the same requirements as my uniformed counterparts. Can I use my up-to-date medical examination authorizing flight status issued by the U.S. Army in lieu of an FAA third-class medical?

 Any input is appreciated!


Thanks,  Ed





Benjamin Winner
Homebuilder or Craftsman
#2 Posted: 11/19/2010 18:27:47

61.23 Medical Certificates 

If you are operating as a commercial operator (for hire) you would still need a 2nd class medical according to the same CFR 61.23(a)(2).  Take a look at the table, but acting as a flight instructor, you dodge the "commercial operator" bullet?

Mike Muetzel
Homebuilder or Craftsman
#3 Posted: 12/9/2010 07:02:20

I used to get my FAA Class II filled out by Navy flight surgeons while on active duty, and by Air Force flight surgeons after I retired.  For the last ten years my company pays for medical exams, so I just go to the nearest AME.  Maybe they stopped doing them, maybe not.  Ed, your post reads like you're getting exams from an Army flight surgeon.  Have you asked for an FAA Class II form at the same time?